Eldercare's response to COVID-19
Eldercare is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our residents and staff, as well as the family and friends of our residents.
Current visiting precautions
Family and friends may visit their loved one at Eldercare's aged care homes provided they meet the following revised visiting precautions:
- Visitors will be required to complete a screening declaration on entry to the facility and to have had a negative Rapid Antigen Test result within 48 hours prior to any visit. Eldercare can provide single RAT kits at site reception during business hours if necessary.
- Visiting is to only occur in resident rooms or outside areas e.g. gardens, courtyards, balconies etc.
- If you are travelling a long distance, please call the site or email COVID@eldercare.net.au to confirm the site (or area within the site) is not closed due to a COVID outbreak prior to travelling.
- Please check the SA Government COVID-19 website for more information about the current emergency directions for residential aged care in South Australia or email COVID@eldercare.net.au
Eldercare may need to tighten visiting restrictions during a COVID outbreak. We also reserve the right to tighten restrictions if visitors do not comply and/or individuals will be prevented from entering if they breach these requirements.
How staff are keeping residents safe
- All staff and essential contractors have their temperature checked before beginning work and will be sent home if their temperature exceeds 38C.
- All staff are regularly screened using Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs).
- All staff who are feeling unwell are instructed to stay away, obtain a PCR test and not return until well or released from isolation if positive.
- All staff are receiving additional training and resources about infection control.
- All sites are monitoring residents and staff for any symptoms of the virus - this vigilance will be our best defense in containing the spread of the virus at our facilities. (We ask that visitors and family members are also vigilant in monitoring their own symptoms, and not to visit if unwell).
- Good levels of personal protective equipment have been secured and all our sites have well stocked 'outbreak' kits.
- An ongoing supply of other consumables, including but not limited to handwash, soaps, hand sanitizer gels, toilet paper and food, has been secured.
Other precautions in place to keep residents and staff safe
- Staff, residents and all visitors have been educated about the importance of hand hygiene and physical distancing.
- Hand sanitiser stations are placed in locations around our sites and we encourage residents and staff to use the gels as frequently as possible.
- All staff members are screened prior to commencing each shift, RAT tested regularly, and make a declaration that they are not presenting a risk to our residents or their co-workers.
- Key staff have undertaken hands-on infection control training over and above the e-learning modules offered by the Department of Health.
- Our managers are being provided with regular updates on COVID-19 and have direct access to an infection control clinical expert.
- Our outbreak management plan will be activated if required.
Page updated: Tuesday 20 September 2022 at 11:59am ACDT.