Eldercare's response to COVID-19 (coronavirus)
Eldercare is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our residents and staff, as well as the family and friends of our residents.
Page updated: Monday 11 January 2021 at 8:47am ACDT.
Older people, and people with medical conditions such as diabetes or heart disease, appear to be more at risk of developing severe disease so Eldercare has applied additional precautions to limit the exposure of residents to COVID-19.
The format of our site tours has been adjusted to minimise risk in relation to the pandemic. Those who wish to tour a site in person will need to provide evidence of seasonal influenza (flu) vaccination for 2020 and meet additional screening requirements.
The Eldercare COVID-19 hotline 0477 995 542 is available on business days from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm.
COVID-19 video message from Chief Executive Jane Pickering to residents and relatives - 27 August 2020
Current visiting precautions
Family and friends are currently able to visit their loved one at Eldercare's aged care homes provided they meet the following revised visiting restrictions:
- subject to visitors not having been to Greater Sydney, the Central Coast Council or Wollongong City Council local government areas in NSW OR the Greater Brisbane area (e.g. the local council areas of Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan, Moreton Bay and Redlands) in the 14 days prior to their visit
- subject to visitors being screened prior to entry to the facility
Note: Declarations can be prepared in advance using the Eldercare COVID-19 declaration form for visitors
- subject to appropriate physical distancing being observed
- subject to visits occurring within the specified visiting hours:
Monday to Friday between the times of 10am to 4pm (including public holidays)
Tuesday and Thursday evenings between the times of 6pm to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday between the times of 1:30pm to 4:30pm
- subject to only the main doors being used as an entry point
- subject to visitors providing evidence of seasonal influenza (flu) vaccination for 2020
Eldercare reserves the right to tighten restrictions if visitors do not comply and/or individuals will be prevented from entering if they breach these requirements.
Residents may also leave the care home for any reason and return subject to screening.
How staff are keeping residents safe
- All staff and essential contractors have their temperature checked before beginning work and will be sent home if their temperature exceeds 38C.
- All staff returning from leave are screened to ensure those returning from overseas and interstate are appropriately isolated.
- All staff who are feeling unwell are instructed to stay away, seek medical advice and are not to return until medical clearance has been provided.
- All staff are receiving additional training and resources about infection control.
- All sites are monitoring residents and staff for any symptoms of the virus - this vigilance will be our best defense in containing the spread of the virus at our facilities.
- Good levels of personal protective equipment have been secured and all our sites have well stocked 'outbreak' kits.
- An ongoing supply of other consumables, including but not limited to handwash, soaps, hand sanitizer gels, toilet paper and food, has been secured.
Other precautions in place to keep residents and staff safe
- Staff, residents and all visitors have been educated about the importance of hand hygiene and physical distancing.
- Hand sanitiser stations are placed in locations around our sites and we encourage residents and staff to use the gels as frequently as possible.
- All staff members are screened prior to commencing each shift and make a declaration that they are not presenting a risk to our residents or their co-workers.
- Key staff have undertaken hands-on infection control training over and above the e-learning modules offered by the Department of Health.
- Our managers are being provided with regular updates on COVID-19 and have direct access to an infection control clinical expert.
- Volunteers are welcome back at sites with some restrictions.
- Our outbreak management plan will be activated if required.